Monday, July 30, 2007

First Day as a Fulbrighter in Münster

So many new sensations! Arriving in Münster by car, driven from Wittenberg in my own Passat Diesel Stickshift by Tina, and making it up the 2 & 1/2 flights of stairs, I can now say: "I am home"! At least for a year, I will call this comfortable, light-filled abode my home. The sun is out and I hurry to Bui Zweiradfachgeschäft to pick up the bicycle which Flavia had lovingly dropped off for repairs before her departure. Everything about this bicycle will be significant to me this year for I intend to become a typical Münsterian and ride regularly. I will learn to keep the seat covered with plastic in case of rain. I will stay in the bicycle designated lanes and hold to the right so that the speedsters can get by quickly.
I hear children in the nearby garden playing in between rain. I got to listen to a bit of a CD but then couldn't figure out how to turn it on again. I finally figured out the television and thereby entertained myself during a rice dinner, my first attempt to cook on Flavia's stove. It's cold enough for a sweater although it is mid-summer. Tomorrow I will find the office where I must register as a resident, something a bit strange for an American. Then I will be taken for coffee and cake to an English teacher gathering, something I am very much looking forward to. I am not supposed to talk shop and I will try my best.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the stairs arent too bad?