Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Hazebrouck, France: Early Morning Mass.







Be at the church on time. You are the one who unlocks the door. One or two will be waiting for you: the regulars. You will switch on the lights as you go in. Someone offers to light the meditation prayer candles for you since she knows you have so much else to do. I tag along. I am but a shadow. The Saint Corneille Chapel in the alcove is to be prepared for the 8:30 mass. We hurry into the sacristy passing the door marked "Danger, Do Not Enter!" You open the door to show me the danger: there is literally no floor. There had been an infestation of mildew in this small meeting room and major measures had to be taken. So we wound our way through several very narrow and awkward angles past the space where the priest puts on his robes to the supply cubby. It was there where you collected the makings of the Last Supper and more: pressed and starched linen napkins and a shiny metal basin into which you counted the right number of small pale wafers made by the Good Brothers. You poured white wine into the chalice. In addition you had to fill a tiny decanter with water. You told me it was for the priest to wash his hands in advance but later you explained that a few drops would be added to the wine so that the people too could be part of the transfiguration. You checked the liturgy of the day and carefully moved the ribbons to the assigned pages. You allowed me to carry the consecrated wafers back through the labyrinth to the Holy Table. After all was prepared we sat and waiting quietly for the arrival of the "retired" priest who would set all into motion. Since I have been present at mass very few times in my life, I'm never quite sure what to expect, but I was definitely astounded by the vigor with which this octogenarian preached. From his seated position he sparkled and smiled and spoke with passion. Although I didn't catch every word, it was evident this man is well-read and knows a lots about life. You told me he says mass at the home for retired nuns on days when he isn't in your neighborhood church, that he takes confession on request, and doesn't appear to be retired at all. More than twenty people were there for mass that morning and not all of retirement age.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,
I like a lot your style, especially how you described your experience with my mom... Hope you are enjoying your stay in Europe.
-Philippe