Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sternsinger: Star Singers


Epiphany is not just a great idea in this part of the world but a day to celebrate the three kings of the Orient. Though it was January 5, one day early, I had seen a small band of costumed children out and about in the neighborhood, so I wasn't too surprised when the doorbell rang. Mind you, the doorbell might not have been for me since I live in a multiple-family dwelling. It could have been someone wanting to leave a package for someone else, or even a burglar, but as it was, it was children, children who wanted to sing to me. They came bounding up the many flights and out of breath and stood there in expectation. Well, since I had never welcomed Sternsänger at my home before I simply stood there and looked at them as well. I asked them what would happen and they beautifully and carefully explained the procedures. They would sing, I would put money in their tin for the poor children in Africa and sweets in their bag and they would write in chalk outside, above the front door the following inscription: "20 C + M + B 08". In true Münster style, it was raining cats and dogs and yet they didn't seemed the least disturbed. They were ready to explain what it all meant including the names of the three kings which I can no longer remember but I am sure if you think long enough about the C, M and B you can come up with at least one. They said that if you really think hard about it you could come up with the phrase in Latin which means: "God, bless this house!" using the same letters. I was so relieved, at last I had found a place for that huge chocolate Santa which had been given to me a couple of weeks previously and had caused me no end of grief since I just couldn't consume it, nor could I toss it. Which of the many disposal bins would accept a foil covered Father Christmas?? I love chocolate, I love eating chocolate, yet how much chocolate can one personally consume? But of course just looking at chocolate can be rewarding as well.
So I asked the children for a photo op and told them their images would go to America. A far cry from Halloween!

No comments: