Thursday, August 9, 2007

First Week of School--Almost There

"Apprehension" and "Dread" were two of the vocabulary items which came up in the English 11 class today. Sample sentences were easily at hand since both adjectives described my thoughts about 6am this morning as I listened to the rain pounding on the roof windows of my apartment. I knew that the new rain gear purchased at the REI before my departure was going to be put to the ultimate test today. Plans were made to rainproof the school materials as well. Even the little sun-visor had its role protecting the glasses. Totally unsure of myself I headed out the door well in advance of the time ordinarily necessary for arriving at Gymnasium Paulinum on time. There were few folks in the streets, almost no one on bikes. Within a few seconds I knew that my feet were fully soaked. Other than that the rest of me was well-protected. The downpour was impressive and most cars had on their lights. Take note it is August 9 and midsummer. Claps of thunder had preceded my departure but there was no sign of lightning.
Mine was the first bicycle in the teachers' bike lot. The inside of the wardrobe area was a welcome sight. All of the outer shell came off and I was dry except for the feet. For that I had no solution. I probably will bring a pair of shoes and leave them at school for special circumstances such as today. By the time all of the late arrivals were in my first class, the rain took a rest. I couldn't resist telling the students about Southern Californians who stay home when it rains, how students are frequently absent on such days and my father, the electrician who sometimes didn't work at all when it rained. Well, would you want to risk electrocution?!
This has been a week full of surprises and tests, tests for the teacher, not for the students. There was the printer which didn't want to print until Markus, the tech guru from school came and touched it. Then there was the visit to the public library where many fees are assessed. For one month for 5 Euros I have a sort of trial membership where I can check out as many books, CD's, DVD's, copies of sheet music, as I can carry for mostly no extra fee. Designated items such as current or popular DVD's cost €1 to check out. After that I must pay €3 each time I check out anything. Therefore it is worthwhile to check out as much as you can carry each time. For €20 you can have unlimited check-out privileges for a year. Not really knowing how much time I am going to have for such pursuits, I will wait and see when my month is up. The central library is beautifully designed and located in the core of the city where I pass through daily. Out in front is one of the many current sculptures on display as part of a once every 10 years public art event. This specific piece consists of three large cages which reference three well-known cages dating back 500 years when renegade anabaptist leaders were cruelly executed and put on display in cages which still hang on the tower of the Sankt Lamberti Church.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great story already --- I love hearing about the adventures. And laughed to hear technology works the same there :) Have a great time and keep the stories coming.

Sara said...

Judy,
I can hear the thunder and almost feel the rain seeping slowly into your shoes. It's a shame you can't just teach in your bare feet! Sounds like you've got the rain thing all under control. Can't wait to hear about the next adventure.

Mr. Jaffe said...

All the techies the world over have to do is touch the equipment, and it works. It sounds like a wonderful adventure.

Anonymous said...

Thats a crazy story about the rain! The saab might have been better...but the bike is way cooler!

Sra. Palacio said...

Hola Judy...I just read your blog for the 1st time today and really enjoyed it..it's taking me back to this time last year when I had just arrived in Argentina. Thanks for sharing...and keep the messages coming. Kathy Palacio

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Frau I miss you!

-Inge

Alicia said...

Hi Judy!
Te escribo en español para que no lo dejes en el olvido.Tus experiencias me recuerdan a mis días en Patrick Henry, excepto por la lluvia.Keep on with your stories!