Friday, August 3, 2007

New School, New Teachers' Room, New Friends

Although it is all new to me, the teachers' room is new to everyone. This is a space which holds a special significance for German teachers. You might call it a communal office where all kinds of activity transpires: catching up with old friends after the weekend or the break, discussing problematic pupils over coffee, collecting money for a field trip, debating politics, hiding behind a newspaper, etc. Each teacher has a cubbyhole and a lockable cupboard. But perhaps the most important space is the wall devoted to announcements of all ilk. If it's important, it's posted there: class coverage(and this might change more than once a day), exam schedules, meeting announcements, scheduled use of special rooms and facilities, and the list goes on. Tradition indicates that teacher X sits in a specific chair at a designated table. God protect the newly arrived who sit in the wrong place by chance. Today, however, was Day One for the newly renovated and enlarged room and claiming territory was a priori. You could see in some peoples' eyes the urgency to settle into the "right" seat.
Sandwiched in among the grade level meetings held this morning was a lovely late morning break celebrating the "round" birthday (50 years) of one of the colleagues. She produced champagne, orange juice, onion cake and vegetable quiche. This was a truly welcome surprise.
On the way home I decided to stop off at a bank and exchange the bulk of the dollars which were burning a hole in my wallet. My first attempt was foiled by the fact that what looked like a bank turned out to be a rather large indoor automated cash access center. Eventually I found a large bank where they were happy to charge me €5 for the privilege of exchanging my dollars at the rate of 1,417. No, it's not good for Americans living in Europe.
Back at the flat, I am enjoying the sunshine which appears between overwhelming clouds. Sitting on the balcony, I am reminded that I am living among the birds in the tree tops. It is splendid to be surrounded by such beauty. Flavia says that in winter the feel is quite different because many of the trees are bare. I hear morning doves cooing, occasional trains passing and children playing in their gardens. For now I have plants to water, something common in Germany, where their pots often line the broad window sills. It promises to be a relaxing weekend with three social occasions and a first visit to a local church.

4 comments:

Nilay said...

Hi Judy,

wow, I love your blogs. You know, I am VERY proud of you. You are so good with the Internet, cell phones etc. now, even though this was not something you grew up with :) I think you are an amazing person, and I am so happy that you are on a fullbright exchange again!!!

This is so exciting, and your whole life is so exciting. I don't know if I could ever do that, but I would love to have an exchange with France, maybe one day...

Love you and miss you so much,

Yours,
Nilay

Laura Hayes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Hayes said...

I am so jealous!

Sara said...

What a joy to read your blog. Linda W gave me the website so I checked it out. I love the setting. What a gorgeous place to sit, enjoy a cup of tea and listen to the birds.
Jessica's last sunday is this sunday. We are doing worship in the park. We are sharing our thanks on Sunday. It has been a good summer.
Charlie came by the church lawn and added some steer manure. We are enjoying the aroma.
Andy has contacted me about the kittys I am looking forward to my new room mates. Take care. Love to you

Sara